Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Boss and The Wrestler

Bruce Springsteen's title song to forthcoming film The Wrestler was written after actor Mickey Rourke wrote the singer a personal letter.

The Wrestler, directed by Darren Aronofsky, stars Rourke as Randy “The Ram” Robinson, a faded professional wrestler attempting a comeback.

Rourke explains how he persuaded Springsteen to write the song, saying: "I wrote Bruce a letter, because we’ve known each other over twenty years, and he knows what I used to be, or whatever. Where I went. What I’d been reduced to. I told him how I felt lucky now and didn’t have to end up being this guy, being Randy.

"A while later I got a call in the middle of the night: he said he’d written a little song, for nothing. It’s fucking beautiful, right? I was honoured he took the time, because he’s a busy cat. I mean, I’m so goddam proud of this magical movie and to have Bruce’s input… ain’t nobody in Hollywood with all their millions can just ring the man and he’ll do a song, y’know?"

The Wrestler is released in the UK on January 16.

Meanwhile, Springsteen’s new album, Working The Dream, is released on January 27. The track “The Wrestler” will appear as a bonus track.

No comments: