Thursday, February 12, 2009

DMB Grammy Snub, Bruce Blog

The Recording Academy has addressed the many Dave Matthews Band fans who were upset that late saxophonist LeRoi Moore was left out of the Grammy Awards' Encore segment, paying tribute to musicians who died in the past year. Moore -- a founding member of Dave Matthews Band -- died last August from health complications following an ATV accident. But he wasn't on the long list of artists and industry veterans.

The Recording Academy released a statement trying to clear things up, noting, "Nearly 250 members of our music community have passed in the last year, and all of them have been listed in the program book for the 51st Annual Grammy Awards, including LeRoi Moore. For the Encore segment of our annual Grammy Awards telecast, unfortunately we are unable to include all of the talented and wonderful people within the allotted timeframe. The Academy recognizes Moore's contributions to music and music education, and we are deeply saddened by his premature passing."

Moore and the rest of the Dave Matthews Band took home a Grammy in 1997 for the song "So Much to Say." The Grammys also didn't mention the recent deaths of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Billy Powell and Stooges guitarist Ron Asheton.

Meanwhile, Dave Matthews Band has been working on material for its new album, due out this year.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bruce Springsteen
blogged about his recent Super Bowl half time appearance with the E Street Band on his official website brucespringsteen.net.

The post, which was written in the early morning hours after the game, chronicles the pre-game soundchecks, the moments leading up to the show and the half time appearance itself. The blog reads in part: "I'm somewhat nervous. It's not the usual pre-show jitters, not 'butterflies,' it's not wardrobe malfunction anticipation anxiety, I'm talking about five minutes to beach landing... (facing) one of the biggest television audiences since dinosaurs first screwed on Earth kind of semi-terror. It only lasts for a minute... I check my hair, spray it with something that turns it into concrete and I'm out the door."

Springsteen describes the lead up to his and the band's performance: "Suddenly an army of ants come from all sides of what seems like nowhere. Each rolling a piece of our lifeline, our earth onto the field. The cavalry has arrived. What takes us on a concert day eight hours to do is done in five minutes. Unbelievable. Everything in our world is there... we hope."

For the first time in his career, he describes his mindset as to what he's feeling while fronting the band, explaining, "I'm on top of the piano...I'm down. One... two... three, knee drop in front of the microphone and I'm bending back almost flat on the stage. I close my eyes for a moment and when I open them, I see nothing but blue night sky. No band, no crowd, no stadium. I hear and feel all of it in the form of a great siren like din surrounding me but with my back nearly flat against the stage I see nothing but beautiful night sky with a halo of a thousand stadium suns at its edges. I take several deep breaths and a calm comes over me."

He goes on to defend his choice to play such a vastly commercial gig as the Super Bowl after turning always the offers on a nearly annual basis: "The Super Bowl is going to help me sell a few new records, that's what I wanted because I want people to hear where we are today. It'll probably put a few extra fannies in the seats and that's fine. We live high around here and I like to do good business for my record company and concert promoters. But what it's really about is my band remains one of the mightiest in the land and I want you to know it, we want to show you... because we can."

Springsteen closed by writing, "By 3 am, I am back home, everyone in the house fast asleep and tucked in bed. I am sitting in the yard over an open fire, staring up again into that black night sky, my ears still ringing... 'Oh yeah, it's alright.'"

To read Springsteen's Super Bowl blog in its entirety, log on to brucespringsteen.net.

No comments: