Monday, February 9, 2009

Here's something I wish I was at....

A slew of stars came out on Friday (February 6th) to honor Neil Diamond at this year's MusicCares tribute event in Los Angeles, which recognized the singer's musical achievements and philanthropic efforts. According to People.com, Jennifer Hudson's version of Diamond's 1969 hit "Holly Holy" moved the crowd of more than 2,000 people. Kid Rock followed her up with "Thank the Lord for the Night Time." He joked, "I'm gonna kill whoever made me follow Jennifer Hudson. Thanks!"

Also making appearances were Josh Groban, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill, as well as the Jonas Brothers, who sang "Forever in Blue Jeans." Adele performed "Cracklin' Rosie," Urge Overkill played "Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon," Coldplay performed "I'm a Believer," Chris Cornell sang "Kentucky Woman," and the Foo Fighters did "Delirious Love." Upon accepting the MusicCares Person of the Year award, Diamond said, "I want to thank my mom, who is here. I started taking guitar lessons when the Brooklyn Dodgers left Brooklyn. I decided to take some music lessons because I was really down [about it]." The 68-year-old singer said that his first guitar cost $10, and his parents paid it off at a dollar a week. He said, "It was a good investment, Mom. And you made a life for me. I thank you for that, Mom." Diamond performed several songs including, "Cherry, Cherry," "Love on the Rocks," "America" and "Sweet Caroline."

No comments: