Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A little deeper with CH

The Pretenders are gearing up to release their first new studio album in five years -- Break Up the Concrete, which arrives October 7th. It marks the Pretenders ninth studio album, and the band's first release since 2003's reggae-tinged Loose Screw. The set was recorded in a Los Angeles studio in just 12 days, and according to Reuters, the material has an Americana, almost rockabilly sound. Frontwoman Chrissie Hynde said, "This was something that I really felt I was being becoming pulled toward and attracted to, this more American sound which I had never explored before."

Part of that Americana sound may have to do with Hynde spending more time in her birthplace, Akron, Ohio. Hynde left the city for London in 1973 and has been overseas ever since. But more recently, she's been back to Akron to be with family. The 57-year-old singer said, "I think I probably have, as a singer, more of an inherent country voice than I would ever like to imagine I did. I think I was in denial."

Meanwhile, Hynde is pretty happy the way things are, saying, "Hey, rock music, playing in a band, that's all I ever wanted to do. I don't think I've done anything groundbreaking. I'm just trying to play in a rock band. It keeps me from waiting tables."

The new album features guitarist James Walbourne, pedal steel player and guitarist Eric Heywood, bassist Nick Wilkinson and veteran drummer Jim Keltner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neil Young has announced the line-up for his 22nd annual Bridge School Benefit concerts on October 25th and 26th, at Shoreline Amphitheater just outside San Francisco. Rolling Stone reported that this year's shows will feature Young, ZZ Top, Smashing Pumpkins, Wilco, Jack Johnson, Norah Jones, Cat Power, Sarah McLachlan, Death Cab For Cutie, and Josh Groban.

No comments: